Baked potatoes are a classic and comforting dish that can be enjoyed in many different ways. One popular and delicious variation is the baked potato with chilli. This hearty and satisfying meal is perfect for cold winter nights or whenever you want a delicious, filling meal.
To start, you will need to prepare your baked potatoes. Wash and scrub the potatoes, and pierce them several times with a fork. This allows steam to escape and prevents the oven from overflowing. Preheat the oven to 400°F and bake the potatoes for 45-60 minutes, or until they are fork-tender.
While the potatoes are baking, you can prepare your chilli. There are many different ways to make chilli, but here is a basic recipe to get you started:
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, diced
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can dice tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tbsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook until the ground beef is browned, breaking it up into little pieces as it cooks.
- Add the onion and garlic to the skillet and cook until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, beef broth, chilli powder, cumin, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Bring the chilli to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes until it has thickened and the flavours melded together.
Once the potatoes are done baking, remove them from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes. Then, slice them open and use a fork to fluff the inside of the potato. Spoon the chilli over the potatoes, and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
Baked potato with chilli is a hearty and comforting meal that is perfect for a cozy night or family dinner. Here are a few reasons why this dish is a great choice for a satisfying and delicious meal:
- Potatoes are a good source of fibre and potassium and are naturally gluten-free.
- Ground beef is an excellent protein source, essential for building and repairing muscle tissue.
- Kidney beans are a great source of fibre, protein, vitamins, and minerals.
- Tomatoes are high in vitamin C and other antioxidants, which can help boost your immune system.
Here are a few tips for making your baked potato with chilli even more delicious:
- Use lean ground beef to reduce the fat in the dish.
- Add diced bell peppers, jalapenos, or other vegetables to the chilli for extra flavour and nutrition.
- Top the dish with a dollop of sour cream, sliced green onions, or chopped cilantro for a fresh flavour.
- If you like your chilli spicy, add extra chilli powder, cayenne pepper, or hot sauce to the recipe.
Baked potato with chilli is a classic and comforting meal that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a quick, easy weeknight dinner or a satisfying weekend lunch, this dish will hit the spot. So next time you’re in the mood for a hearty and delicious meal, give baked potato with chilli a try and enjoy the delicious taste of this classic comfort food.